The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), encourages libraries and community organizations to connect children with diverse books and programming opportunities through Día. Día is a nationally recognized initiative that emphasizes the importance of literacy for all children from all backgrounds. It is a daily commitment to linking children and their families to diverse books, languages and cultures.
The common goals of all Día programming are to:
- Celebrate children and connect them to the world of learning through books, stories and libraries.
- Recognize and respect culture, heritage and language as powerful tools for strengthening families and communities.
- Nurture cognitive and literacy development in ways that honor and embrace a child’s home language and culture.
- Introduce families to community resources that provide opportunities for learning through multiple literacies.
About the Día Program Registry
ALSC is reaching out to libraries and community organizations nationwide to build a national database that showcases all types and sizes of Día programming. We invite you to share information about public programs that you are having at your library or community organization throughout the year to celebrate Día. The information will be searchable on the national Día map and display on the website. Program coordinators will also receive a personalized webpage to help promote their Día events.
We also invite you to help us evaluate and track Día on a national level by participating in a brief survey after your Día event(s). By checking “yes!” at the end of this form, you agree to receive the survey to be sent in May. The information you provide in the survey will help us evaluate the success of Día and provide information to help Día grow.
Guidelines for Program Submissions
- ALSC is seeking details about your Día programming.
- Program contact information must be included in your submission in order to appear in the Día database and map.
- Any programs added to the registry are assumed to be open to the public
- ALSC reserves the right to edit program information for space constraints and appropriate language.
- ALSC does not fact check the information you provide. Please double-check accuracy of dates, times and locations.
- If you are hosting multiple programs and the same location, we have streamlined the process so you can enter them all in one sitting.
- ALSC reserves the right to use your provided program details to promote the Día celebration; through our website, reports, Facebook, Twitter or other appropriate outlets.
Personal Data NotificationThe ALA (American Library Association and its units) and the ALA-APA (Allied Professional Association) (collectively “ALA”) use the personal data you provide to the ALA to process membership, inform you of products, services, conferences, education opportunities, events and for other purposes which are within the Association’s mission. To accomplish these actions, ALA contracts with third-parties who gather and process personal data to complete interactions such as online purchases, conference registration, and fulfillment. The personal data as provided is processed and stored as a legitimate Interest to the ALA in order to fulfill your requests for information and services from ALA.