The Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), is reaching out to organizations nationwide to build a national database that showcases all types and sizes of Día programming.
Día is a nationally recognized initiative that emphasizes the importance of literacy for all children from all backgrounds. It is a daily commitment to linking children and their families to diverse books, languages and cultures. The common goals of all Día programming are to:
- Celebrate children and connect them to the world of learning through books, stories and libraries.
- Nurture cognitive and literacy development in ways that honor and embrace a child’s home language and culture.
- Introduce families to community resources that provide opportunities for learning through multiple literacies.
- Recognize and respect culture, heritage and language as powerful tools for strengthening families and communities.
We invite you to tell us what you are doing at your library throughout the year to celebrate Día. The information will display on the website, in both the map and database format, allowing you to share it with other librarians and the public interested in learning more about Día programs happening around the country.
Register early in order to receive complimentary stickers and bookmarks that celebrate Día (while supplies last).
We also invite you to help us evaluate and track Día on a national level by participating in a brief survey after your Día event(s). By checking “yes!” at the end of this form, you agree to receive the survey to be sent in May. The information you provide in the survey will help us evaluate the success of Día and provide information to help Día grow.
Guidelines for Program Submissions
- ALSC is seeking details about your Día programming.
- Program contact information must be included in your submission in order to appear in the 2013 Día database and map.
- ALSC reserves the right to edit program information for space constraints and appropriate language.
- ALSC does not fact check the information you provide. Please double-check accuracy of dates, times and locations.
- If you are hosting multiple programs, please create a separate entry for each program.
- ALSC reserves the right to use your provided program details to promote the Dia celebration; through our website, reports, Facebook, Twitter or other appropriate outlets.